Great Forests of LOTR
A unique scenic helicopter tour of Lord of the Rings forest locations:
- See key Lord of the Rings locations
- Views of historic Skippers Canyon and its gold mining past
- The Remarkables Mountain Range
- Land at an exclusive Heliworks landing site
- Option to see a blue ice hanging glacier and a wall of waterfalls
Leaving Queenstown Airport climb the steep slopes of the Misty Mountains to the Dimrill Dale and the great Gates of Khazad-dum. Mirrormere, source of the River Silverlode also lies below and after a pause for photographs we cross Lake Wakatipu itself (Nen Hithoel) towards Amon Hen, scene of the Breaking of the Fellowship.
Excellent views can be obtained of the forest where Lurtz fought his final battle against Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. We also see the site of the Ilithien camp where Frodo and Sam hid from the battle and first saw the Oliphants.
We now continue Westward for a landing atop Mt Alfred (Dol Baran) where the vista of Nan Curunir (scene of Isengard and the Tower of Orthanc) unfolds. The great forest beckons, and as we fly over the outskirts of Lothlorien, the massive peaks of the Misty Mountains tower overhead.
We now travel East towards the old gold mining area of Skippers before flying over the River Bruinen, scene of the desperate encounter between Arwen and the Black Riders. Homeward bound, to our left can be seen further glimpses of the River Anduin (location of the Gates of Argonath) before landing back at Queenstown Airport.
• Season appropriate clothing
• Please wear closed toed shoes
• All prices quoted are valid until 30th September 2021.
• Prices are quoted per person in NZ currency. They are inclusive of GST
• A minimum of two passengers are required for all Heliworks Queenstown scenic flights.
• Private Flight - We can make any of our standard scenic flights a private flight, please contact us for pricing.
• 24 hours notice must be given for cancellations otherwise a 50% charge will be required.
• Flights depart on demand and are subject to availability.
• Flights depart from either our base in Queenstown.
• Infants 3 and under are free of charge and are required to sit on an adults knee. Children 4-11 years of age are 70% of the full adult fare.
• Children must be accompanied by a full fare paying adult.
• For the purpose of aircraft weight and balance and in accordance with the Civil Aviation Authority rules and regulations, we require all passenger weights at the time of booking. Once we have received and reviewed this information we will be able to confirm the booking.
• We reserve the right to change prices at any time without further notice. However, if we have confirmed an advance booking the quoted price will not be altered.
• We accept EFTPOS, Visa, Mastercard, AliPay and cash.
• We retain the right to charge a credit card surcharge on all transactions.
"We treated ourselves to the 75 min LOTR flight and had an amazing trip. The views were breathtaking and our two landings gave us some wonderful photo shots in Earnslaw Burn (Rivendell) with the waterfalls and then Skippers Canyon.
Our pilot Davey was friendly and pointed out all the locations during the flight.
A perfect way to end our fantastic holiday in NZ !"