Flight to the Ford
Lord of The Rings Locations Helicopter Tour:
- View spectacular Lord of the Rings locations
- Misty Mountains, Dimrill Dale, Moria, Amon Hen, Ilithien Camp
- River Bruinen – Flight to the Ford and River Anduin
- Views of The Remarkables and Skippers Canyon
A fantastic introduction to Middle Earth.
Departing from Queenstown Airport your helicopter tour takes you towards the steep ridges of the Misty Mountains.
Climbing ever higher the first stop is the Dimrill Dale, lying between two great arms of the mountains. This valley marks the western door of the great Gates of Khazad-dum (Moria) and Mirrormere, source of the River Silverlode.
Then continue across Lake Wakatipu (Nen Hithoel) to fly over Amon Hen, scene of the Breaking of the Fellowship. Excellent views can be obtained of the forest where Lurtz fought his final battle against Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. You will also see the site of the Ilithien camp where Frodo and Sam hid from the battle and first saw the Oliphants.
Heading now towards the River Bruinen, you see the Ford, scene of the desperate encounter between Arwen and the Black Riders. Homeward bound, to your left can be seen glimpses of the River Anduin (location of the Gates of Argonath) before landing
Private Charter Pricing
We have private charter rates available for our Squirrel helicopters, our twin-engine Squirrels and our 9-seater BK. Charters are a great option for bigger groups, or if you would like a more intimate experience.
Find out more about our fleet here.
- Squirrel (up to 6 passengers depending on weights): $2,800.00
- Twin-engine Squirrel (up to 6 passengers depending on weights): $3,360.00
- BK (up to 9 passengers depending on weights): $4,480.00
• Season appropriate clothing
• All prices quoted are valid until 30th September 2023.
• Prices are quoted per person in NZ currency. They are inclusive of GST.
• A minimum of two passengers are required for most scenic flights.
• We can make any of our standard scenic flights a private flight, please contact us for pricing.
• Any cancellations made within 24 hours of departure will incur a 50% cancellation fee. If passengers ‘no-show’ for a flight, 100% of the fare will apply. If we cannot operate due to weather and as a result, passengers are unable to fly, no cancellation fees will apply.
• In the event of COVID-19 restrictions, we will reschedule your booking, or if we cannot operate and as a result, passengers are unable to fly, no cancellation fees will apply.
• Flights depart on demand and are subject to availability.
• Flights depart from either our base in Queenstown.
• Infants 3 and under are free of charge. Children 4-11 years of age are 70% of the full adult fare.
• Children must be accompanied by a full fare paying adult.
• For the purpose of aircraft weight and balance and in accordance with the Civil Aviation Authority rules and regulations, we require all passenger weights at the time of booking. Once we have received and reviewed this information we will be able to confirm the booking.
• We reserve the right to change prices at any time without further notice. However, if we have confirmed an advance booking the quoted price will not be altered.
• We accept EFTPOS, Visa, Mastercard and cash.
• We retain the right to charge a credit card surcharge on all transactions.
" We chose well. Dave, our pilot was friendly and engaging. His local knowledge was top class. The flight was well executed and his skill level was great. We did the 'lord of the rings' trip and it just blew us away, the choice of landing spot was perfect."
~ Trip Advisor